Sunday 4 May 2014

4th May - weekly update

I seem, somehow, to have come in at 28.2km for this week.  Not quite sure how that happened, especially as I had a "rest" day.  Inverted commas because "rest" involved a day off from work, but driving 300 miles in pouring rain to attend a funeral.  Which has rather taken it out of me for the week, understandably.  On Sunday afternoon, I'm sitting here exhausted, having slept badly again, and with very low mood, so no idea how the next week will pan out, especially as it involves a busy week at work, and baking for a cake sale on Saturday.  Wrist is still sore, especially after some quite brutal physio on Friday but it doesn't seem to hurt too much whilst I'm swimming.

So how did I swim 28.2k?
Monday:  3.1k pool swim am.  This was probably the best swim of the week.  3 x 1k reps with a little cool down.  Wasn't timing, but someone else in the lane asked what I was training for, and I thought "YES! Starting to look like a swimmer rather than someone with a broken wrist".
2.4k lake swim pm.  Swam with Claire.  We did one of the shorter laps together first, then I went off on a 1k lap, and then I took my wetsuit off for another one.  Pretty chilly but good!
Tuesday: Was feeling a bit tired, so did a combination of recovery swimming and drills, for 3k in the pool.
Wednesday: Because I was missing my usual Thursday am long swim for the funeral, I had to get up early on Weds and do it before work.  Fun.  Not.  In the pool by 6.30, 5k knocked out  and only 5 minutes late for work.
Thursday. Off.  There was a vague, overly optimistic plan, to swing by Portishead Lido and meet a friend and see a lovely pool that I've wanted to swim in for a while, but I was way too tired.
Friday.  Very tired.  Recovery swimming for 3k.
Saturday.  Still tired and most of body pretty achy.  I was supposed to go to Box End and race, but I was umming and ahhing about what distance to do.  I then just couldn't face the thought of getting in the car and driving for 75 minutes each way and then having to fill the car up again.  I felt dreadfully guilty about not swimming inside on such a lovely day, and it was weird me not wanting to race as normally I am itching too!  Anyway, I did want to do a 2 hour swim this weekend, so I went and did it at the University Pool.  I thought that 6k would do the trick, but actually it needed to be 6.75k.  I think it would have been 7, but I was doing 2 lengths of backstroke every 500m to compensate for the achieness.  But it wasn't too bad.  I stopped at 4k for 2 Jelly Bears and some water (could have done with more water, half a bottle isn't enough!  So it felt like an achievement even if I didn't gain any endorphins.
Sunday.  I felt TERRIBLE when I woke up.  Continuing low mood, a very bad night's sleep, bad IBS...and it was another sunny day which somehow seems worse when you're depressed because of the "should" that you should be out enjoying it.  However, Mr was due to go out on a 100 mile sportive, and had to leave at 6am, and I didn't want him to worry about me too much.  So I got up and went to the lake.  I swam 4k with my wetsuit, 1k without.  2nd lap was best speedwise.  I felt terrible when I got out and went back to bed when I got home.   But at least I didn't have the guilt of not having swum.  I can't even begin to think through what all of this lack of motivation and insufficient non wetsuit swimming is going to mean for this year's plans.

So....plans for this week.

Monday. 3k pool swim (I sadly have to work the bank holiday, but at least the lake is open!), 2k lake swim.
Tuesday. 3k pool swim
Wednesday. 3k pool swim
Thursday 6k? pool swim
Friday. Off
Saturday. Openwater beginners coaching (1k?), 6k pool swim
Sunday. Early lake swim 3k (off to a christening, Devon again, so don't have too much time and mustn't be too tired, although I can sleep in the car!)

= 25k for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment