Sunday 27 April 2014

27th April - weekly update

I used to write these posts all the time over on my last blog when I was counting down (from 20 weeks - such as this one) to doing my first half ironman.  It was quite interesting recording what I'd done, and making plans for the coming week, and helped give me little senses of achievement on the way.  I don't have such a big goal this year, well, maybe actually it is.  I am hoping to complete a length of Windermere on 5th July, and now that is only about 10 weeks away, I think it is time to be a bit more focused with my training.  I'm starting to make plans in my head about distances that I want to cover each week, and how to try to fit those in around other commitments I have in the calendar.

Anyway.  Here is what I did this week:

Monday.  3.5k pool swim.  Due to the Bank Holiday, although I had to work, my hours were 9-5 rather than 8.30-5, so I had a little longer in the pool than usual.  It was great to be able to practice some of the drills that I'd been given over the weekend, and although I was tired, I felt a lot easier in the water.  This was also the first day that I attempted cycling since the day I was knocked off my bike.  Less traffic made it a bit less frightening, but it's still too painful on my wrist for now.

Tuesday. 3k pool swim.  Was feeling very tired today and had to keep stopping after every 10 lengths for a little rest.  I had swum about 33k in the last 9 days by this point, so hardly surprising!

Wednesday.  My first foray into the openwater this year, more on that here.  2.4k

Thursday. Did a 5k timed swim.  Took 1h25.5 minutes.  Not too shabby.  Was at the 3.8k mark at about 1h6.

Friday.  3k pool swim, more drills.

Saturday. Back in the openwater, 3.75k.

Sunday.  Today I'm going to a swim class with Cassie Patten!  Very excited about that and am sure it will merit its own blog post in due course.  Not sure how far we'll swim.  I'm at around 21k for the week, which given that this was supposed to be a slightly easier week, means that it should probably involve as little swimming as possible.

Next week, I need to step things up a little bit again, but I have a wildcard of a funeral to go to 3 hours away on Thursday, which means that this day is most likely to be a total rest day.  Haven't had one of those for a while :)  (Not sure that there is anything restful about either driving or being driven for 6 hours though).  This means I need to get up early on Weds to do the longer swim that I usually do on a Thursday (that'll be fun after working late on Tuesday...) which means no openwater on Weds.  I should get into the lake after work on Monday if all goes to plan!  And then there's the first race of the season on Saturday, although, a month out of plaster, I won't really be racing, but it's good to get the chance to swim outside.

Monday. 3k pool swim am, 2k lake swim pm (plan is 1 1k lap in wetsuit, 1 1k lap without)
Tuesday. 3k pool swim am.
Wednesday. 5k pool swim am.
Thursday. Off.
Friday.  3k pool swim am, very easy/recovery
Saturday. 3.8k or 5k race?
Sunday. 4k or 5k pool swim (depending on distance raced previous day/success in completing workouts earlier in week!).

Aiming for 25k....

No comments:

Post a Comment